Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Of Iphones and computers, of cabbages and kings

Well, work replaced my Blackberry with an Iphone as part of a money saving project. With this now being the 4th Smartphone I've used, I can easily say it is the worst. Features I take for granted on a basic phone, like setting alerts individually for different message types, setting any mp3 as a ring tone, individual control of vibration,different profiles based on situation are all missing.

As a smart phone (or as an mp3 player) I am missing the function to just open up the device in windows and drag and drop files, something that has been present on every other smartphone and mp3 player I have owned (never had an Ipod before, and after this, I will never get one).

I also hate the fact that I have to use Itunes to sync the damn thing and that the sync isn't as granular as on my P910, Treo, or Curve. I can also only have it sync with 5 different computers (so far, I've had to use up 3 of those home, work, laptop).

It's also cheap and flimsy. Everyone in the city who had a smart phone got one, and we've had a number of them break already (we've had them for less than a week at this point) at work we went and got Otter Boxes for them, which helps in the cheap and weak feel but hurts with screen visibility.

I have many other gripes about this piece of trash. The on screen keyboard is too small, the magnification is pathetic, and a lack of body buttons means I have to flip through menus as opposed to one touching my way to frequently used functions.

All in all, if we could get Exchange to push to it, I'd rather go back to my 2g Sony P910.

1 comment:

Captain Sam said...

Thanks for the 411. I've been thinking of purchasing a smart phone for awhile. Some people have been telling emt o get an I-Phone, but I'm not so sure.