Monday, November 2, 2009

What sold in comics in September?

The September sales numbers are out, http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23546.

Blackest Night sold over 140,000 units, beating the next biggest seller (Captain America: Reborn) by about 30,000 units. It's sad, I though Secret Invasion was pretty poorly done (it didn't really have an ending, there is still very little in the way of an explanation for the fall out, and when you realize it takes place over a matter of about 2 days you begin to realize all the problems with the thing).

Compared to Blackest Night, it's a master piece of narrative. Blackest Night is like that D&D game everyone has been in at least once where the DM has to drop in a character to explain the plot and shove the characters forward because they have spent the last 3 hour bickering over who gets the extra gold piece left over after a 4 way split.

I tried following it, as did my wife. She gave up after having to keep asking me who some of these characters were that had been dead for nearly 20 years, I gave up when the Indigo Tribe popped up and had to beat everyone over the head with the plot forwarding stick.

To see this sell this way leads me to believe that we will not see the end of these super-mega-ulta-event crossovers in my lifetime.

Also, DC, could I get some characters staying in one place for a bit? You realize that with Beast Boy and Raven now mentoring the Teen Titans and Cyborg, Starfire, and Dick Grayson Batman going to JLA, you really don't have much of a reason to have the Titans anymore?

Oh yeah, way to make my buy Teen Titans again too, I hadn't picked up an issue since around the time of the Judas Contract, and now I'm reading it again, you bastards.

And While I'm bitching, Marvel, fix your fucking release schedule. I'm tired of having weeks were you pop off three issues and then drop 20 on me the next, or going 8 weeks without an issue of a comic and then you pop it on me on back to back weeks.

Check it out:
Oct 21st: 16 releases
Oct 28: 37 releases
Nov 4: 20 releases

Nova comes out in back to back weeks (Oct 28th and Nov 4th), Captain America:Reborn #3 hit the streets on Sept 15th, #4 comes out Nov 4th.

They need to get their act together. If there is one thing DC consistently does better than Marvel it's spreading their releases around and having a fairly regular cycle.

2 comments:

Captain Sam said...

Crossover? I thought "Blackest Night" was strictly DC. Did they introduce characters from some other comicverse?

Hades said...

No it's an internal crossover like Civil War and what not. It's just an invasive cockroach of a bad crossover. It even managed to spoil Doom Patrol, which was going along so nicely until this bit of malfeasance.